#1 Scale-Out NAS System Dell EMC Isilon Goes All-Flash for Unstructured Data
Posted on: October 20, 2016
Dell EMC today announced a new member of the Dell EMC Isilon product family, combining the high performance of flash technology with the industry’s #1 scale-out NAS platform. Isilon All-Flash is designed to help IT organizations modernize their infrastructure and deliver on the capabilities of a digital business.
Traditionally, All-Flash array (AFA) products have focused primarily on structured or block data sets and applications that support approximately 20% of all data in the data center. However, there is a growing imperative for IT to harness the value of unstructured data, which now accounts for 80% of all new data produced, managed and stored by enterprises today. To do this, organizations are using increasingly powerful next-generation applications and workloads that require high performance to process massive unstructured data sets and deliver the accelerated business outcomes enterprises demand. Dell EMC sees this unstructured data opportunity as the final flash frontier that requires a scale-out architecture designed to take advantage of flash media and provide the same enterprise-grade data protection, management, access and security that these unstructured data applications require today.
Dell EMC is addressing this shift with the new Isilon All-Flash scale-out family of NAS storage. Already a leader in All-Flash storage with 30.9% market share, Dell EMC has combined the extreme performance of flash technology with the proven scalability, true multi-protocol access and security of Isilon OneFS operating system. Formerly known as “Project Nitro,” the highly dense, bladed-node architecture of Isilon All-Flash provides four Isilon nodes within a single 4U chassis with capacity options ranging from 92TB to 924TB per chassis. Available in several configurations, Isilon All-Flash units can be combined into a single cluster that provides up to 92.4PB of capacity and over 1.5TB/s of aggregate performance.
“As businesses move towards a digital future, there is an increasing need to support large-scale workloads that utilize unstructured data at unprecedented speeds. This can’t be done with hardware alone—software is the key to enabling customers to modernize their data centers, and the determining factor for the winners and losers in the All-Flash market,” said Phil Bullinger, SVP of Isilon at Dell EMC. “Isilon All-Flash is specifically designed to address the need for extreme NAS performance, but also to provide the multi-protocol access, enterprise-grade data protection, security and ease of management capabilities that organizations expect from the industry’s #1 scale-out NAS solution.”
Isilon All-Flash storage is designed for a wide range of next-generation applications and unstructured workloads that require extreme NAS performance including, 4K streaming of data, genomic sequencing, electronic design automation and near real-time analytics with a choice of Big Data analytics vendors such as Hortonworks, Cloudera, Pivotal, IBM and Splunk. Isilon All-Flash can be deployed as a new cluster, or can seamlessly integrate with existing Isilon clusters to accelerate the performance of an enterprise data lake and lower the overall total cost of ownership (TCO) of a multi-tiered All-Flash and high capacity SATA solution. Powered by the OneFS operating system, this new offering from Dell EMC is designed to provide the essential capabilities that enterprises require to modernize IT: extreme performance, massive scalability, operational flexibility, increased efficiency, and enterprise-grade data protection and security.
ISILON ALL-FLASH CUSTOMER BENEFITS
- Extreme Performance: with up to 25M IOPs and 1.5TB/s throughput per cluster, Isilon All-Flash is designed to accelerate business outcomes for the most demanding next-generation unstructured workloads
- Scale to Fit: customers can start with a single 96TB 4U chassis and easily expand capacity by combining up to 100 Isilon All-Flash chassis and over 400 nodes into a single cluster to provide up to 92.4PB of storage capacity
- Next-Generation Multi-Protocol Access: with support for NFS, SMB, HDFS, Object, NDMP, FTP and more, Isilon’s multi-protocol access is unparalleled in the market place, delivering customers any unstructured data read and write access to ALL data, regardless of the protocol used
- Storage Tiering: Isilon SmartPools and CloudPools allow customers to take advantage of automated storage tiering to reduce capital expenses and optimize storage resources by reserving their Isilon All-Flash storage for their most demanding applications
- Unmatched Efficiency: Isilon All-Flash solutions provide up to 80% storage utilization and can leverage Isilon SmartDedupe data de-duplication to further reduce storage requirements by up to 30% or more
- Robust Data Security: to meet stringent security and compliance regulations, Isilon All-Flash offers role-based access control (RBAC); secure access zones; write-once read many (WORM) data protection; file system auditing; and data-at-rest encryption with self-encrypting drives (SEDs)
Isilon All-Flash scale-out NAS storage is available for customers to pre-order starting today, and will be generally available in 2017, along with new versions of OneFS that will be a free upgrade to all existing customers.
This week at Dell EMC World, attendees will be the first to see the newest All-Flash enterprise-class and SMB storage offerings from the combined Dell EMC, including:
- Dell EMC storage management, mobility and data protection portfolio coverage across the entire line-up of mid-market proven Dell EMC SC Series storage arrays (formerly Compellent)
- Recently announced Dell EMC VMAX 250F enterprise-class All-Flash solution with game-changing economics, extending VMAX to a new set of customers
- Recently announced major enhancements to the Dell EMC Unity family of simple and affordable flash-optimized systems
- Recently announced Dell EMC VPLEX VS6 platform and Dell EMC VPLEX For All-Flash solutions, designed for continuous availability and non-disruptive data mobility
- Hands-on look at Dell EMC DSSD D5 Rack-Scale Flash array, with new operating system software updates and validated performance for Oracle, SAS and kdb+ workloads
- Sneak-peek at forthcoming capabilities in the market-leading Dell EMC XtremIO All-Flash array
DELL EMC EXECUTIVE QUOTE
Jeremy Burton, Chief Marketing Officer, Dell Technologies
“Dell EMC is the clear leader in All-Flash storage because we have a market-leading portfolio that addresses the broadest set of workloads – we’re #1 in almost every segment we compete in. Isilon All–Flash builds on this momentum with the introduction of a brand new storage family to meet the demands of digital business. The numbers are mind-blowing — we’ve combined the speed of flash with the almost infinite scale and ease-of-use that has become the hallmark of Isilon.”
INDUSTRY ANALYST QUOTE
Scott Sinclair, Senior Analyst, Enterprise Strategy Group
“Today’s data centers are already falling behind in both performance and scalability. In order to compete and remain relevant in a digital workforce, businesses need technology to support next generation applications and the most demanding workloads. Combining scale-out NAS with the extreme performance of flash technology solves this need—and customers can rely on all the things they love about Isilon in this new flash configuration. IT can now support the sky rocketing volume of unstructured data and provide faster business outcomes for users.”
- Learn more about Isilon All-Flash
- Learn more about Dell EMC All-Flash storage
- Read the Dell EMC Pulse blog: Flash Forward and Accelerate the Data Lake
- Connect with Dell EMC via Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn and ECN. For the latest news from Dell EMC, follow @DellEMCNews on Twitter; use #DellEMCWorld
- Attend Dell EMC World virtually at DellEMCWorldLIVE
Dell EMC, a part of Dell Technologies, enables organizations to modernize, automate and transform their data center using industry-leading converged infrastructure, servers, storage and data protection technologies. This provides a trusted foundation for businesses to transform IT, through the creation of a hybrid cloud, and transform their business through the creation of cloud-native applications and big data solutions. Dell EMC services customers across 180 countries – including 98 percent of the Fortune 500 – with the industry’s most comprehensive and innovative portfolio from edge to core to cloud.
DELL EMC WORLD
Join us Oct. 18-20 at Dell EMC World 2016, Dell Technologies’ flagship event, bringing together technology and business professionals to network, share ideas and help co-create a better future. Learn more at www.dellemcworld.com and follow #DellEMCWorld on Twitter.
Dell EMC Public Relations
Copyright © 2016 Dell Inc. or its subsidiaries. All Rights Reserved. Dell, EMC and other trademarks are trademarks of Dell Inc. or its subsidiaries. Other trademarks may be trademarks of their respective owners.
iAnalysis of Unstructured Data: Applications of Text Analytics and Sentiment Mining SAS. Retrieved June 24, 2016.
iiIDC Worldwide Quarterly Enterprise Storage Systems Tracker, Q2 2016, September 2016